The Bajiao (Octagon) Building(八角樓) is a wooden building completed in 1841. At the time, Yanshui’s Yuejin Harbor was busy with cargo ships and merchants filled the streets. The Bajiao Building was built by craftsmen brought in from China by the Ye family who had made their wealth in the sugar industry. The building materials were mainly Chinese Fir and bricks transported from China. It was a grand house.
After the Sino-Japanese War, the Japanese landed and Prince Fushimi Sadanaru took over the building as his residence and command post. A stone stele in the courtyard records this fact. Part of the building was demolished after road improvement took place and after air raid damage by the Allied troops in World War II. The Octagon Building was returned to the Ye family after the war.