The Old Taiwan Magistrate Residence (原臺南縣知事官邸), constructed in 1900, is known to Tainan residents as "The Clock Tower" owing to the clock pattern in relief on the gable of the original roof (山牆圖騰狀). As well as being the official residence of the county magistrate, it was also used as an imperial residence when the Japanese royal family came to visit, making it the only building designed for royal residence in southern Taiwan. As of 1941, about 20 members of the Japanese Imperial Family had visited and stayed in the building, even more than the Taipei Guest House, which was the Governor-General's residence during the Japanese Colonial Period. This shows the importance of the building, especially as the Crown Prince Hirohito (later Emperor Showa) stayed overnight in the building during his visit to Taiwan in 1923. A new wooden wing was specially constructed for his visit, and two tennis courts were added to the right of the building for his enjoyment. Although no trace remains of the tennis courts, the fact that they were built clearly shows the importance attached to the imperial visit and the effort made.