The white, elegant church next to Tang Te-chang Memorial Park (湯德章紀念公園) was founded in 1865 by Dr. James Laidlow Maxwell (馬雅各), missionary of the British Presbyterian Church(英國長老教會). The Church towers over the district in exotic foreign style, and it has had a strong connection with the area for centuries. The Tai Peng Keng Church is now a memorial to Dr. Maxwell. On the weekend, the solemn sounds of the pipe organs in the church ring out. Many people still attend the Sunday service for its warm and holy atmosphere. The museum at the rear of the church keeps many cultural relics and photographs that are closely linked with the history of Tainan.