During the Japanese Colonial Period, urban planning and road building tended to have a circular design. Tang Te-chang Memorial Park(湯德章紀念公園) also has a circular design; it was the government center where the Tainan Prefectural Office, He Tong Building and other important government buildings were located. In the Japanese Colonial Period, it once had a statue of governor general Kotama Gentarō總(督兒玉源太郎) and was called Kotama Park(兒玉公園). This was replaced by a bronze statue of Dr. Sun Yat-sen after World War II and the park renamed Min Sheng Green Park (民生綠園). In 1998, it was renamed Tang Te-chang Memorial Park after a lawyer who was executed in the park during the February 28th Incident, 1947. It now has an upper body bronze statue of Tang.
The area around the park has the highest density of historic sites in the city and is of most interest to tourists. Every Christmas, a large number of tourists gather in the park and view the huge Christmas tree outside the National Museum of Taiwan Literature and the decorations. The park is not only historically significant; it is part of the collective memory of Tainanese.